Tuesday, February 02, 2010

"Core what?" part II

Okay, so today I called up the brewery person who was thought to maybe know the company’s core values.
“Why do you want to know?”
“Well, it says on your web site that all sponsoring must be consistent with your core values, so I wanted to see if my project is.”
“What’s your project?”
“It’s a book that I thought your X brand might want to sponsor.”
“How do you figure?”
“Well, I don’t know, really. I was hoping to learn about your core values to decide if we’re a good match.”
“Okay, you should talk to their brand manager.”
“Actually, I just need the core values, and I was told you might know them.”
“Of course I know them, but X is a different brand.”
“But it’s part of the same company.”
“Yes, but they have their own values. Let me give you the brand manager’s number.”

Later that evening:
Brand manager: “Excuse me, have we been in touch before.”
Henrik: “No, you don’t know me. I talked to Y who said you could tell me the core values for X.”
“What’s this about?”
“Your web site says sponsoring has to be aligned with your core values, so I’m trying to find out what they are before I decide if I should contact you.”
“Well, the one we always talk about is togetherness.”
“Togetherness?”
“Yes, 18-to-35-year-old males being together and feeling close.”
“Okay, that sounds like it might work. Anything else?”
“Let me send you my e-mail so I can explain more.”

Am I alone in thinking this suspicion is weird? Shouldn’t companies want to shout out their core values to the world? Regarding the values of this particular company – if I ever find them out – when I know, you’ll know.

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like they make a beer with a good head...

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous R said...

I think it's suspicious. Don't take their money!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home