Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Gott in Himmel!

I’m no shopper, but I do believe in treating people like grownups. That’s why I object to German churches cajoling the Berlin government into forcing shops to close on advent Sundays next year. Both Protestant and Catholic leaders couldn’t stomach the thought of people shopping when they feel like it. No word yet on what Muslims or atheists think.

“This is a clear signal against the total subordination of society to the economy,” says the Central Committee of German Catholics.

Hey, I’m against subordinating society to the economy as much as the next guy, but my dear Germans – there is such a thing as free will. If you don’t want to shop on a Sunday, then don’t. And if you’re a shopkeeper who considers it a hassle to stay open when your customers want to shop, you deserve to go out of business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home