Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Isn’t life great?

When I grew up in the 1970's, there was no unleaded fuel. Today there is no lead in any fuel on the market. Likewise, catalytic converters hadn't been invented back then. This means that I breathed in mountains of junk that is spared today’s children.

Speaking of junk, there was no recycling when I grew up. We chucked glass, metal, plastics, newspapers, batteries (!) and everything else into the same trash can.

The lake in which I swam as a child was polluted in ways that would horrify today’s environmentalists. In fact, the activist organization “Save Storsjön” was founded in the Sixties but dissolved itself in the early Eighties because they couldn’t find much to complain about.

Moving along, every single company today – local and global – are committed to using green electricity, supporting wind and solar power and leaving as small a carbon footprint as possible. Not so when I was in shorts.

What I want to say is that I am thankful for all the amazing achievements that have been made in my lifetime. I am proud of the human race for being so resourceful, and I have no doubt that we will succeed in cleaning up the stuff that we still have left to take care of.

Don’t listen to people who say everything is getting worse. It’s simply not true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home