Thursday, February 11, 2010

“But I had two trips left!”

A man was hit by a subway train in Stockholm yesterday. He had dropped his cell phone on the tracks and jumped down to get it. As stupid as this is, it reminded a friend of mine of an even more stupid man – the one who asked her to jump down and get his discount card.
“You look like you’re in good shape. Why don’t you get that for me?”
“Are you insane?”
No, he probably wasn’t insane, just indifferent to the life and security of a fellow human being. I suspect he is a sociopath, someone who doesn’t care about the suffering of others. A psychopath would enjoy inflicting or observing pain, but that label would only apply to this man if he had deliberately thrown his discount card onto the tracks in order to make someone else risk his or her life to retrieve it for him.
“But I had two trips left!”
Sure, let me risk my life to save you 22 and a half kronor.
Idiot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home