Friday, March 20, 2009

Full disclosure

Henrik Schyffert once said he wasn’t afraid of anything anymore because he had stopped keeping secrets. If we just stop worrying about getting found out for imaginary transgressions, we become indestructible. People don’t care as much about us as we like to think. They are mostly preoccupied with their own lives. This can be a depressing insight, but in this particular case it works to our advantage.

To give an example, Schyffert said he was now comfortable telling complete strangers that he used to be a bedwetter. Once you pre-empt people by disclosing stuff openly there is no way others can have power over you, and you can get on with your life without being afraid.

Here’s where I should come clean about something I used to keep secret, but I’m not ready yet. Not for the big ones, anyway. Okay, I love Star Trek and occasionally power-eat cinnamon buns, but that doesn’t count. I will be back with more juicy bits later. In case you care. Which you don’t. But I still will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home