Wednesday, October 21, 2009

George and his coffee


I am reading “Life, Inc. How The World Became a Corporation And How To Take It Back”, so I’m more sensitive than usual to Big Business trying to encroach on Real Life.
That’s why the fangs came out today when I saw a Nespresso ad featuring two identical pictures of George Clooney, one where he is holding a cup of presumably amazing coffee. The payoff says “Make the ordinary extraordinary”, which to me suggests that they are calling George Clooney ordinary. Either that or they are calling their own product ordinary, which makes no sense.
Even leaving aside the fact that we are deadling with Mr Clooney, are they really comparing a cup of coffee to a human being, and coming away calling the java extraordinary? I’m the first to admit that there are a whole bunch of substandard humans out there, but come on; even a great cup of coffee is nothing more than that – coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home